2014 OPEN CALL FOR INTERNATIONAL RESIDENCE PROJECTS
AIR Taipei has two residency locations, Taipei Artist Village (TAV) and Treasure Hill Artist Village (THAV).
Taipei Artist Village is a four-story building located in the heart of Taiwan’s vibrant Governmental District in Taipei City. Secluded within a tranquil garden, this renovated public office building that once belonged to the Taipei City Department of Public Maintenance and Construction is breathing new life into bustling downtown Taipei. Since the establishment of TAV, the Taipei City Department of Cultural Affairs has actively launched the artist-in-residence program as well as artist exchange programs with other international artist residency centers in different cities across the globe.
Located along the Xindian River in Taipei City, Treasure Hill Artist Village was listed in 2004 as the first “historical architectural community” by the Taipei City Department of Cultural Affairs. The unique location of Treasure Hill with its narrow alleys and stairways snaking across the hillside gives THAV the feeling of a rural village. Over the years, various groups settled on the hillside with their own lifestyles and needs, creating a tribal-like organic scene. Joining together with the original residents, the city’s policy of preservation and revitalization, the Artist-in-Residence program and the Traveler’s Hostel all aim to achieve a spirit of “symbiosis” to create a better future for the entire community.
- Residency locations: Taipei Artist Village (No. 7, Beiping East Road, Taipei, Taiwan) & Treasure Hill Artist Village (No. 2, Alley 14, Ln. 230, Dingzhou Rd. Sec. 3, Taipei, Taiwan)
- Admission to AIR Taipei International Residency Program is based on a review of applications by the AIR Taipei Admission Committee.
* Notice: Each residency project must be designed for and relevant to one specific artist village, responding to the individuality of the site. Applicants may apply for one site only.
How to Apply
- Applicants must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience or professional practice. Students are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have a working knowledge of English or Mandarin Chinese.
- Applicants who wish to apply for Treasure Hill Artist Village should specifically consider its ecological setting.
- A maximum of 25 proposals will be accepted in 2014.
- The selected artists will be provided with free accommodation and studio space. Lodgings are furnished, including desk, chair, lights, trash receptacle, air conditioner, etc.
- Unless application has been made as a group, if an artist has company or family staying with the artist during his/her period of residence, any additional guest will be charged TWD480 per person per night.
- AIR Taipei can offer each selected artist residency for 8-12 weeks. The selected artist has to apply for his/her visa personally, and the visa should conform to the residency.
- Pets are not allowed during the residency.
- Complete the online application (http://www.air-artistvillage.org.tw/). The online application deadline for the 2014 AIR OPEN CALL is June 3rd, 2013 (23:59:59CCT).
- Print the application form, and submit the application form with artist’s portfolio on CD/DVD to TAV (No. 7 Beiping East Road, Taipei 10053) by June 4, 2013 (postmark as proof).
- Please mark “2014 AIR” clearly on the envelope. The portfolio files will not be returned.
- For any further questions, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org